What is it?
Family education program (PEF) is a municipal service of educational and psychosocial support directed to families to favor or fulfill their needs, or to receive full participation in the community. This program aims to detect and anticipate situations of social difficulties, promoting processes of change and providing families with the necessary competencies for an extended period of family functions, facilitating processes of autonomy, responsibility and social participation.
This program works a specialized family educator who is specialized in work with families that are part of the social service team of the Council.
It is directed:
- To all families.
- To educational centers, health center, other community services …
What do we do?
- We guide and support families: addressing issues of interest: limits and norms with children, self-esteem and security for addressing different situations, problem-solving models, how to improve family relationships, educational resources and support for reconciliation of work and family life, etc. In short, promoting the competencies of families and enhancing the optimal development of family and social life.
- We mediate and accompany families to participate in the different community resources, coordinating actions with:
- the resources and services of the council (OMIX, ADL, CIM, educational centers, health centers, associations, etc.), working in coordination with the different municipal departments, motivating the participation and the commitment of the different agents in the improvement of the social problems and the welfare of the families ,
- and with other specialized resources, that intervene in some aspect of the life of families, to favor an integral response. Like are the family-oriented cabinets, the technical teams of the minor, the family meeting points, etc.
- We carry out group activities with families dealing with issues such as: promotion of healthy habits, social and communicative skills, guidelines for educating children, affective-sexual education, enjoyment of free time in family, education in equality, etc.
How do we work?
Basically, we work with the family from the accompaniment, through a relationship of help, very close, with interviews in the office as well as with home visits or accompaniments.
Interventions with families nowadays receive comprehensive care because we have an interdisciplinary team formed by the social worker of the community social services, a family educator and a psychologist specialized in family therapy and attention to adolescents, who work in a coordinated way. Therefore, the work methodology is carried out in a coordinated way, taking advantage of the different municipal and community resources.
With each family an intervention project is drawn up that establishes an individual diagnosis of each family nucleus that is the object of the intervention, as well as the planning of actions aimed at overcoming the situation that is presented.
The projects compile actions in the areas of: functions, roles and responsibilities of families, parenting abilities and competences, education for health and affective-sexual, training for employment, school monitoring and prevention of school absenteeism, housing, etc. In accordance with the diagnosis of each family nucleus.
This family intervention has a continuous character in order to achieve the objectives proposed, and in this way provide the family with sufficient competence so that they achieve their full autonomy in the solution of problems facing the future and their social participation.