SATURDAYS, SUNDAYS, BANK HOLIDAYS AND BRIDGING DAYS
Winter (15/09 – 6/15)
from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. And from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Summer (15/06 – 15/09)
from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. And from 6 pm to 9 p.m.
The Museum of the Sea is located in the Port of A Guarda, at the end of the Paseo Marítimo, in the replica of the ancient Atalaia.
It houses an ethnographic collection of equipment and fishing gear that was compiled by the ANABAM naturist group (Asociación Naturista do Baixo Miño) and a malacological collection consisting of more than 18,000 marine shells collected by Ignacio Navarro.
In April 2009 the museum opens its doors to the public, being able to be visited on weekends, holidays and bridges.
The sea museum wants to be a reference in the recovery and safeguarding of the Baño Miño marine heritage. And therefore, the museum is open to all those who, linked to the world of the sea and the fishing, are interested in the donation or assignment of pieces, as well as to convey their experience with the world of the sea, helping to divulge this heritage.
Atalaia is a military building, located in the surroundings of the current south dock, it had been raised by the Portuguese in 1666 in the context of the Restoration War (1640-1668). Abandoned and destroyed definitively in 1943 with the extension of the port, the building that we find today, at the other end of the port, was carried out by the Escola Taller of A Guarda in 1997, so that the memory of this symbol lasts, an outstanding sign on the shield of A Guarda.
The original construction was conceived for the defense of the guarded port during the Portuguese occupation of our town. A vaulted chamber was like a powdery place, and surrounded by a gallery and a top platform where the artillery and the sentry box were placed.
In 1779 it was rebuilt to face the raids of African pirates and in the period from 1804 to 1808 it operated as a defensive battery that protected the Spanish private ships that attacked the English ships that traded with Portugal and came to the port to protect themselves.
The visit has a price of € 1 for adults and € 0.50 for children under 14 years of age. On the first Saturday of each month and on May 18, International museums day, the visit is free.
Our staff completes the information of panels and pieces with the explanation of the history of our town and our marine traditions.
The visit is also available for concerted groups, by contacting the Department of Culture.